Thursday, September 30, 2010

September feast






















Quiet at The Land today.



You can almost hear

a caterpillar munch.



Rattlesnake masters
stretch out 
their club shape hands.


Can these pugnacious plants

really protect me from rattlesnakes? 

                                        Don't think I'll find out.




The late afternoon sun

lures me 

out

onto the paths.







Photo by KC






This was supposed to be 
my fast bike day.

Once a week I bike 35 miles
as fast as I can.



I only stop 

for a picture 

of a welcome pumpkin.




Then the dust cloud 

of the soybean harvest 

catches my eye.


I watch 

the lumbering approach of the harvester 

until the seed laden wind

rumbles into my face.






I retreat...

and watch 

a caterpillar 

sipping clover

across the street.













It's all about food

this time of year.




We harvest 

corn

soybeans

and pumpkins.






Butterflies 
and caterpillars 

drink from flowers...






...and birds chow down

on berries 

for the energy

to carry them south.





I need energy, too.


So I stop by The Land

for a brief hammock rest...






...before the sunlit leaves

beckon me

to the paths.



The blackberries

are gone.


Eaten or planted

for next year's brambles.


I don't know what flower this is -

a spot of light 
in the forest shadow.


Does it matter
that I don't know
the name?





September ends tomorrow.

And October begins.






KC can start decorating

for Halloween.





The Old Hickory 

remembers me reading 

The Halloween Tree

under his crooked branches

so many years ago.





I look out the loft 

of the barn

to The Land below.





The sun 

sets too soon.











The ride home
is dark.




It's time for 
a drink...









4 comments:

  1. but did you take the puppies to the land =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on bike. I don't take puppies on bicycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a good eye, love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a Marriage, Family Therapist, I helped many men, through a process I
    developed called HART Holistic And Rapid Transformation, get in touch with everything going on around them.
    Other cases, either the wife or husband may no longer know what is or isn't safe, or to sort themselves out in therapy. This interpretation of the novel is supported by numerous inferences that can be enjoyed together as 'couples' items. To keep your power, you need to send the right message.

    Have a look at my web page :: http://www.chocoku.info

    ReplyDelete