Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Birthday, Blog!







One year ago
I became
a blogger.






For a
confirmed
non-techy
this was a giant step!





But, hey!


Here at age 53
I had decided
to ride my bike
across America....





Surely
I could manage
to make do
with this odd
contraption
called
a blog.





I named my blog
Flight for the Land...

to raise money
for my local land trust
The Red tail Conservancy.




I start
timidly
in Feb 2010

One picture

Three paragraphs




I warm up
in March...






...with my
Florida blogs.




I hit my stride
at the end
of March...




...with a
Happy Birthday
to TJ
my son.





In April
I take to blogging
like a
bird to flight.






Tree planting
with
High School
students...







Burning
the prairie...






Biking
centuries
two
three
and four...




My favorite
April blog
is
The Land in Spring.





Now I'm up
to 15 photos
per blog.






On Earth Day
I find my voice.







Strong
on pictures.



Sparse
on words.






In May,
Century Number 5
is a highlight...








...a rather
wet one.







The next day,
my Dad dies.





My blog
gives words
to my grief...







...and captures
his stories
and memories
forever.


















My centuries
continue
on Mother's Day...







...and
they begin
to drive me
crazy!







June
is
beautiful...





....and I'm
full swing
in training
for The Big Ride.




Anticipation

Preparation

Perspiration







The blog is a chance
to capture
the stories...







The
Double
Century






Nelly





The Land






Good-bye
now
to Brixton.









Did I really
look this
nervous?





So amazing
to re-read
how hesitant
we were
starting this
epic journey




Amazing
to see
our first impressions
of these people...





...who we
would grow
to love...







to believe in...









to count on...







My blog soars
to new heights
of adventure...




...and I
bottom out

exhausted





from too much
biking

too much
blogging

not enough
sleep.








I have to make
a choice





Do I bike
Every 
Damn 
Inch?

Or do I 
continue
to blog 
like a fiend?










Blogging wins.




And I take
a few
"bump ups"
in the van




so I have
time and energy

to devote to
The Blog.




I do
blog
every single inch
of the journey.






Until
we splash into
the Atlantic Ocean





...a moment
I will forever
remember.






Then the question...

did I blog
just for
The Bike Ride?





Or does
The Blog
continue?



Yes,
The Flight Continues.








Penrod






A Harvest Time Century






The Hilly Hundred


and...






Halloween!







Cupcakes




and...





Christmas!








2010 ends...






...with blogs
about my kids.





2011 opens...






...with a blog
about the future.





January,
Cairo!





February,
ice...





...and
the escape
therefrom.





My blog birthday
comes
in February





with a promise

to keep blogging







and

biking...






...for
the
land...











6 comments:

  1. I'll add hyperlinks later today.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't believe i've read a years worth of blogs =P loved seeing that pic of the brixton prairie! I forgot how pretty it got! gives me hope in this cold icy weather =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you've been commenting for a year, KC! There's hardly a blog you've missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice... a few words and a lot of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 yrs of blogging =) congrats! figured I needed to make a second comment to commemorate my 2 yrs of comments hehe I noticed the 2011 wine glass again =P

    ReplyDelete