Thursday, February 10, 2011

St Pete Century








100 miles!

That's
my goal
today!






And I've
got Florida
sunshine!







And an
Indiana
temperature!





Well,
not
quite.





But it did get
so cold
here in St Pete
that the radio
warned people
to bring their pets
inside.





Their pets
aren't
as tough
as ours.





I'll need
my favorite
red jacket
to bike
today.



But I expect
it to warm up
quickly!






I head
for the
Pinellas Trail...




44 miles
with
bridges...







...and
cool
crosswalks.




Built
by a man
whose son
died
in a bike accident...




Safety
is their
first concern!

(Note they do
allow Segways.)



The trail
itself
is kinda dull...




Luckily
the web
has info
for each leg
of the trail....







CVS
for my
first rest stop...





The map
didn't tell me
about the
cool underbridge
graffiti!







Reminds me
of my KC!






Funny
in Florida
to get warnings
of steep slopes.





(Kinda
like their
warnings
of the cold...)




But
the good thing
about uphills...





...is that
at
the
top...






...looking
forward
to
the downs!





My map
takes me
off-trail
to find
the Veterans' Park.




Beautiful
trees!




Map said
to look
for the
sundial.









I've always
loved
sundials!





I'd love to stay
and watch
my hours
tick
through the sun's rays.





But the wind
is picking up...




...and I need
to text Tom.

(I always
let him know
where I am

in case
I don't make it
home.)





Bike on
through
the park...






...to the
star spangled
water...







rest
my
bike





and let time
slip away...





Oops!

How can I
do
100 miles

when I dawdle
so outrageously?





You know,
who really cares
about 100 miles
anyway?




But
I get
back
on the road...





Gotta
get to
a bike shop...







(need
butt-cream)







Look!

They have a flyer
for my favorite
Indiana ride!




On to
the town
of Largo!

(I love
these trail
markers!)




Stop
at
their park.




Cool
climbing
rock!

My kids
would've
loved this!





Follow those kids!



They look
energetic!




It's a boot camp
for tri-athletes!












It looks 
more fun...



...than
our exercise
back home!






On
to the town
of Clearwater!




Can I make it
to Tarpon Springs?





Running
out
of
time!





At least
the cars
have to stop
for us
here!





Am
I lost?





I'll ask
these
bikers...





I found
Dunedin!




My kids
would like
this place!






Homemade
ice cream!





A view
of
the water!






They'd love
this
Caribbean shop!





Bright
colors...






Pink
pirate
stuff...




Directions
to Kokomo!

I could visit
Keith
and Rosalee!






I know
I should go

but I have
to browse
The Painted Fish!






I love
her
calligraphy!





She makes
individual
letters
a work of art!





I want to stay...





but OMG!

The sundial trees
tell me it's late!

I'm at least
40 miles
from hotel!






Back
to my trail!





Quick glance
at my watch...

I won't
make it home
till 7PM!





Bike past
my park...






...over

all

eight

bridges...






Past my
Veteran's
Park...





Puff!
Puff!

Gotta take
a break!






Good thing
I carry
a spare battery!


Can I make it?




Wait!

Look!

It's James Dean's
bike shop!





That's only
nine miles
from hotel!







I can
relax!






I can
easily
make it
by sundown!





My
last
bridge....





the
last
stoplight...











the
hotel...







a fresh
glass
of water...






a
sip
of wine...














and watch
the colors
of the sun







settle
on
still waters...



2 comments:

  1. god FL is amazing! and our puppy is wayyy tougher then thos FL pets =P our kitty on the other hand...lol so did you make 100 miles?? And you keep mentioning places your kids would love...so why don't you take us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas Steussy-WilliamsFebruary 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM

    awwwww what a cute pic of Koda :D

    ReplyDelete