Friday, February 18, 2011

Ice Storm!






The ice
storm hits
Indiana!














We see it
coming...








We must
be ready!





So I leave
husband
and kitty...




I go to
New Castle
to wait out
the storm.





I sleep
at Jeffery Street
fitfully....


and I wake up....






...to ice!





My basketball hoop
is frozen...






My back yard
is solid ice...









Poor Marshall
is shivering...





Koda
checks out
the frozen turf...






- What can
we do
with this?






- You're on
your own,
Koda!





I've got
to get
to work!





I toss
my suitcase
in the trunk....





...don't know
if I'll make
it home
after work...


The roads
are pure ice.




I see one car
slowly
creep
down Jeffery Street.






I'll have
to try...


I'm alone
on the road...






...except
when I'm jostled
by a plow...


Normally
15 minutes...




My drive
takes 45...





I park
next to
frozen cars...






...sliding
down the halls
of the hospital...





...I check
the latest
news....







I'd better
stay here
tonight!





Luckily
the hospital
has a spare room
for visiting doctors -

- in Phillips Hall
across the
parking lot.




I spend
the day
at my scope...




...listening
to reports
of freezing
rain...





...frozen
pipes...




...wind
chills...




I hear
the danger
tonight
will be power loss

from
shattered
power lines!





I'm glad I'll be
near the hospital
tonight.







It's Feb 1.

I'm still
following
the Egypt crisis.












Last I heard
KC was
on a plane
for Greece...


I hope
she's okay.






After work
I settle in
to
Phillips Hall...






I try to
look out
my window.

All I see
is ice.




Wait!

There it is!

I can see
my own power cable


feeding energy
to Phillips Hall...



....and covered
with sleet.



Will it
last
the night?




Chuck,
the security director,
tells me
I can park
my Prius...





...under the
entrance roof
for the night.







I wander
the empty
halls....






....eat
in a silent
cafeteria...






I remember
the lonely nights
in the Chicago hospital
years ago
when my nephew
lay near death.








Up
the back
stairway...





...across
a frozen
parking lot...






The sleet
whips
the trees...





They
crinkle
against
the brave
streetlight.




What happens
if I lose power
tonight?

It could be
a long
treacherous
walk
to the hospital
on the dark ice.






I clutch
frozen
railings.

What
if I fall?








Warm
light
inside...






Up in my room
I look out
at a blue
frozen
world...



I suddenly realize
I have
no flashlight!



If I lose power

If the room
chills from
no heat...




How would I
find my way
from Phillips Hall
to the hospital
in the dark?





I carefully
fold clothes
on a chair
where I
could feel them
if it's dark.





I plug in
my phone.

It could be
a source of light
in a dark world.











I turn out
the light
and
I go to sleep...


....wondering
what will
happen.






1 comment:

  1. i love ice storms but this one was slightly annoying since it impeded my flight home! PH looks nice better to be stuck there then the hospital

    ReplyDelete