Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Biking Williamsburg!






Shelley
is the
best SAG
support
ever!






Then
again,
she
owes
me.




When
she walked
from
Indiana
to
Washington
DC -

I
helped
her.





So this
is
payback
time!




And
don't
tell
her husband -


but
I think
she's
having
fun.




I'm teaching

her
the 
fine 
art...







of
getting
lost...





and
asking
directions
of
anyone
on the road.






You meet
the
most
interesting
people
that
way.






So
we
explore
Williamsburg...





while
the
others
explore
a
STIHL
factory.





They
are
busy
with
chainsaws...





while
we
prepare
to
plant
a
tree!







Let's
go!






Wait!

Here
come
the
others!







Look
at
that
huge
tree!





It's a
willow
oak.




Like
the one
we planted
at
First
Landing
Park
yesterday.




Today
we're
planting
a
tiny
dogwood...






in
front
of
the
large
red oak....




planted by
these
guys
on the
Tour des
Trees
11 years ago!



What
other
gift
could
you give
the world....


that 
grows
so much
in value
every
year!








So
plant
that
dogwood!




Treat it
with
care...






Give
it
fresh
water!




Give
it
clean air!







Then
let's
bike
on!






Through
Williamsburg...







to
lunch....





at
Ace
Hardware?







There's
limited
parking...















So
we have
to
make do!




And
after
lunch...


I'm
ready
to ride!





But
I'm so slow...

I need
a
"bump up"...







to
the
first
SAG stop...







and
a
snack.





I'm
biking
alone
for all of
5
minutes...






before
the
other
bikers





start
to
catch
up.







I try
to
keep up
with
them...









but
I get
distracted...






and
they're
gone.






Oh, well,
I can
talk
to the
friendly
locals...






and
enjoy
the
flowers.





Despite
a few
scary
encounters...





I catch up
with
the
group...





just
in time
for
an
orange...





and
the
ceremonial
ride...






through
the
beautiful
campus....





of
the
college
of
William
and
Mary.






Mom,
did you
teach
here
so many
years ago?





Well,
now
it's time
to
eat...





and
eat...






and
mingle
with
the group.




Meet
Jefferey.

Yes,
he's
14 years old.

and
fast!





And
look
who's
here!

It's
Shelley!










Just in
time
to buzz
to the
hotel...








For a
well-
deserved
rest!






the end.


4 comments:

  1. I am the Lorax I speak for the trees! You know after being your daughter for way too many years =P I think I finally want to start planting trees at least to mark significant times in my life like graduation =) Its a cool idea and the more trees the better chance we have to survive the end of the world! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Shelley and Helen, I met you yesterday at the state capitol. I like your photos and your poetry and your homage to the great late Dr Seuss. I can not say how impressed I am with people who bike any distance at all so 85 miles is way beyond my comprehension. I smile and say, yes, that was great. Huh? Hope you're having clear, smooth roadways on your trip.
    Cindi Mashburn
    BTW we hope to have the pictures we took up on our website soon. It's RichmondTreeStewards.Wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, again... beautiful job! If only I had a fraction of your talent... Beautifully captured and shared! Heather - fellow rider

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Heather.

    I love taking pictures...and biking...and planting trees!

    What a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete