Thursday, October 13, 2011

Biking Monticello




Biking
on
to
Monticello...





as the
kids
patter
back to
class.








I leave
early
since
I'm so
slow.





When I
biked
across
America...






my
mascot
was a
snail.





Cross-
country
we called
the
fast bikers
the
thoroughbreds.





On this
ride
they're
the
Hammerheads.





Not me.

I'm
here
for the
scenery...







and
the
trees....





I love
the
sweet gums
with
their
Christmas
ball-like
pinkelponkers.




And
look!

This land
is
protected!



like
my 
back 
home!









Wait!

What's
this?!






Bikers
passing
me
already?




I'd
better
get
back
on bike

quick!






And
we've got
some
uphills
ahead!







But
I want
to
stop
and
enjoy
the
Rivanna River...





and
the
sudden
red
clay...










of
the
Virginia
Piedmont.














Pied = foot
Mont = mountain

Foothills!






A
few
foothills
later...





and
here
we are
at
Monticello!





Jump
right in
for
a new
tree planting!







Measure
that
hole...

It
must
be
just
right...






for
our new
dogwood
tree...





soon
to grace
the grounds
of
Monticello
with
bountiful
spring
blossoms...








and
fall-time
bright
red
berries.













Get
the
tree
in the
ground...






Be
sure
it stands
straight.





Do
the
famous
Pricklethorn
tree
blessing.


The
Professor
looks
different
in
biker
gear.













Our
audience
is
delighted!





A
brief
pause
to
visit
the tree
we planted here
11 years ago...





















When
is the
best time
to
plant a tree?





Twenty
years
ago.






And
the next
best
time...






is
now.










But
now
we're
off...




for a
quick
tour
of
Monticello...





Then
quickly
spin on
to
Charlottesville...





It's a
relatively
short
ride
until...





Oops!

It's
my
danged
chain
again!






a
long
slow
walk...

















Luckily
it's
a
lovely
town....

















pleasant
scenery...





Look!

There
are some
of
my
biking buddies!





They
stop
to
help
me...













and
soon
I'm back
on
bike!






Hurry
now
to
the
hotel...






Everyone
else
is
in
and
done
laundry...


and
they're
off to
dinner.






Me?

I'm off
to bed!






We
have
a
big
day
coming up
tomorrow...









biking...











Skyline
Drive!













done...

No comments:

Post a Comment