Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Biking Life...







Rod's
shirt
says it all!






When
we take
these
long
bike rides....






across
the
country...










or
up
the
Natchez
Trace...






our life
becomes
very
simple...






and,
oh,
so
sweet!

Eat
Sleep
Bike




Then
again,
there
is
laundry.





Scattered
about
the
hotel
room...





Good
use
for that
TV...







and
the
bike!






Pack
up
your
things.





It's
time
to hit
the road!






By the time
Al gets
moving
in the
morning....







the
breakfast
room
is
empty.





Everyone
else
is out
packing
bikes.





But
by the time
we reach
the
starting point...




Al
is
waiting
for
me!




There's
so
much
to do...




Unload
the
bikes






Spray on
the
vanilla

(it
keeps off
the bugs)





Reset
the
cycling
computers.




And
we're
ready
to
go!



Today
Leo
wore a
cold
jersey
for me!




But I get
behind.

I'm
biking on
alone...

trying
to catch up
when...




Whoa!

Look
at the cool
spiderwebs...








glittering
in
the
sun!


Distracted
by the
beauty
of the dew...






I'm passed
by the
Sweep
Team.





I know
they follow
behind us
for our
safety...




but
I stress out
knowing
I'm slowing
them
down.






And today
my slow friend,
Ellen,
is leading
the
pack!







Slow
down,
Ellen!






I
need
to
stop...





to
admire
the
flowers!





But
the
Susans
aren't all
that are
colorful
today!





Nice
jersey,
Jeff!






The restroom
is a
great place
to catch up
with
people.





Howard's
having
a
great
time!




Shirley's
so lucky
to have
a man
who loves
to bike!






My
husband
doesn't
even
know...








which
side
is
up!









Maryland
Mark
loves
to bike
fast.









As
does
my
Al.







But
I'm
slow...











photo by Jeff




so I
start out
ahead
of them.




Before long
they all
pass me..



But I
catch up
when Al
stops
to save
a turtle.




Lucky
turtle!







Good
ol'
Al!













Next
stop...


The
swamp!





Dark
trees...











Red
blackberries...







Sweet
smelling
something-
or-
other.






Better
take
a
picture!






Tupelo
trees
bright
overhead.





"She's as
sweet
as
Tupelo
Honey"
goes
the song.



And
we're back
on the
road
again.




Is that
a
song
too?






"Like a
band of
gypsies
we go
down the
highway..."





It's
life
on the road
till...

STOP!






It's
another
turtle
to
save!





Or
at least
take
his
picture.





We get
to
the
French
Camp





and it's
time
for me
to
take over
driving






and
picture
taking




Beautiful
Rose
of
Sharon




Magnificent
Magnolia
Tree




Finally
a
perfect
blossom




And
of course
pictures
of
my friends...







Hot...







Cool...



This cohort
will be
biking
the Maine Ride
for the
ALA
next week.





But
they
grab
their
drinks...





and
they
leave
me...








To 
bike
through
a scary
place...







Here
is where
the 
tornados
hit...








uprooting
trees...




snapping
trunks
like
twigs



under
broken
trees
tremble
delicate
flowers...







the
strong
fall...






while
the
fragile
survive...




Isn't
that
a lesson
for us
all?




And
speaking
of
The
Strong...








These
mega-
biker
dudes...





have
decided
to
challenge
Jeff Busby
Hill!




Short
but
Steep!

I'll
follow
them...





in
the
Jeep!






Challenging
climb...






but
I made it!

Whew!






Good
job,
Jeff!









The
trees
are
beautiful
up here...








but
all too soon
the bike ride
is over
for the day.







Time
to
turn the page
and
plan
the next day.









The 
biking
is 
done...








It's time
for the 
eating...






lots
of 
eating!






and
the
sleeping!






Life
is
sweet...



biking
on
the
Natchez
Trace!

























1 comment:

  1. great pics =) but isn't dad the one who fixes your flats for you...pretty sure he knows his way around a bike hmmmm also cute turtles! those are the kind that sam and II saw a lot in North Carolina (she actually managed to grab one right out of a pond!) ohh and cool tornado dmg pics (although our storage shed is cooler =P)

    - KC

    ReplyDelete