Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Biking the Natchez Trace






- Mom,
we
have
to do
this!






When
Jeff
and Joe
proposed...






we all
bike
the
Natchez
Trace...






we
knew
we
were
in...








for a
very
good
time!





But
when
the time
finally
came...







I
was
worried!






Worried
about
this
new
hard
saddle...





Worried
about
my
turtle-like
pace...





Worried
about
that
Mississippi
heat!















- Don't
worry,
Ma,
says Al.

I haven't
even trained,
she adds.


- You
never
train,
Al!

I'm not
worried
about
you!





But
as soon
as I see
our
smiling
friends...






I
forget
my
worries.

(for a while).





It's just
like
our days
riding
across
America...




The
hotel
breakfast...







The
luggage
load...














Even
the
same
shirts!




We
admire
the new
bikes
among
us...





Jeff
gives
Phoenix
the
once-over.




We
take
lots
of
pictures...










And
then...







we're
off!















Love
you
too,
Mark.




We
bike
to the
edge
of
town...









Then
out
to the
Natchez
Parkway!







Of course,
we have
to pause
for
pictures!





Then
back on
the road...






like
old
times!





The
Trace
is a
beautiful
place
to bike...








Smooth
road...







Wonderful
old
trees...







Interesting
sights...










Leo
bikes
to the top
of
Emerald
Mound...






and
dances
the
ABB
dance!







We
study
the
educational
displays...






Hmmm.

Snakes
of the
Parkway.

Comforting.




The
magnolia
blossoms
are
fading.




The
Spanish
moss
is
hanging.




And
Helen
is
beginning
to fade
in the
heat.



The
sun
beats down
on my
sizzling
tire.



It's nearing
100 degrees
when
I
reach
mile
marker 30.





It's time
for the
SAG
stop!

Where
is
it?!




Yes!

There
it is
at
last!





Karen
and
Aila
are
here
to take care
of us!






Thank
goodness!






Al
needs
a
drink!






Joe
needs
a
rest!






Jeff
looks
tired,
too.



I'm
lucky.



Joe
straps
my bike
to the
car...







And I'm
the spare
driver
for the
next
32 miles!






It's
beastly
hot!





Jeff's
Garmin
reads
105
degrees!




I don't
need
to worry
about
the
ice!




I stop
at the
waterfall
to give
Leo
cold
water.





Leo
is
thrilled...





But
it isn't
much
of a
waterfall.



When Al
and
Jeff
make it
to the
waterfall...





they
are
whupped!





This
heat
is
murderous!




Which is why
Jeff panics
when Ellen
tries to call
and we
lose
reception!



- I'll
hurry back
and
check
on her!
I say.



As I
rush
down
the road
I think
- it's a
good thing
I'm a doctor.




Then again,
it's
too bad
I'm a
pathologist.




Luckily
Ellen
is
all right.

Just
tired.

And
hot!






Time
to
load up
the
bike




pour
ice
cold water
on your
feet




and
take
a
break!



In
air-conditioned
luxury
we cruise
down
the road...






looking
for
our
biking
friends.

















Have
they
all
survived?



Yes!

Rodney!
Leo!
Mark!

We are
so happy
to see
you!





Load
up
the bikes
on
Aila's
wagon...











I need
to go look
for my
Al!




Here
she comes!

In her
paceline!

Lookin'
strong!





This
girl
is
amazing!







They
reach...




the
finish
line...








exhausted!











all
of
them!







Well,
maybe
not
Joe.







But
we're
all glad
to get to
the hotel...






It was
a
good riding
day
with
friends...




on
the
Natchez
Trace...





and
more
to
come...






tomorrow!









2 comments:

  1. sigh! can't leave me hanging! and this is why you guys should have biked the blue ridge parkway instead =D need I remind you it is mid 80s here no humidity and a slight breeze =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy freaking bikers

    love,
    GUESS WHO!

    ReplyDelete